- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded (if preferred) and chopped
- 1 to 2 (2 1/2 to 3 cups) large zucchini, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup spinach or kale leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- green onion
Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the jalapeno and zucchini, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes more.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, uncovered. Just before serving, stir in the cooked quinoa, black beans, cayenne, and greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with avocado, cilantro, and green onion.