This is a delicious fall treat for those first cool days that signal the end of summer. It’s very filling and makes you feel full even though it’s a salad. It’s also very healthy and vegan. – Veronica
Serving Size: 2-4 people
Warm Pumpkin Salad
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup diced sweet or yellow onion
- 1 small pie pumpkin, skinned, seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups wild greens (arugula, spinach, or mixed lettuces)
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
Warm the pumpkin: In a large non-stick pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and pumpkin. (The smaller the pumpkin is diced the more quickly it will cook.) Sauté the pumpkin and onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the squash is soft. Do not burn the pumpkin or onions.
Add the garlic, nutmeg and thyme, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the pumpkin to a bowl and stir in the cooked quinoa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool mixture in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
To serve, mix the dressing ingredients and drizzle over greens. Top with cooled pumpkin mix and garnish with pomegranate seeds. Serves 2-4.