Welcome to Chef V's Cooking School!
I'm Veronica, Certified Nutritional Therapist, author, and proud owner of Chef V. You might know me for my Green Drink and Cleanses, but I started Chef V as a personal chef. In my first video cooking series, I'll be sharing some of my clients' favorite recipes with you.
Using this blog and my YouTube channel, I welcome you to my kitchen. We're going to laugh, learn and cook – together.
In this special episode, we have a virtual guest. Michael lost over 200lbs with Chef V and implemented a healthy lifestyle. His story is so inspiring. We make a vegan version of moussaka using a dairy-free Béchamel sauce and mushrooms instead of meat.
“I’ve reached my goal weight in June, losing a total of 245 plus pounds over the last 22 months. Chef V has helped in this as my morning drink since I started my Green Drink Plan from you. Thank you.”
Step by Step
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil, divided use
- 1/4 cup sliced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 pound minced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 cup Chef V's Raw Almond Milk
- 3/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large (or 2 small) zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise like lasagna noodles
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 6×6 inch baking dish with coconut spray.
PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS
Cut off both ends of the onion, remove the skin, give it diagonal cuts all the way across the cut end. Slice across cut end for perfectly diced onion.
Chop the mushrooms – I love the nice meaty texture they give to the dish.
Cut off the ends so the end is flat. Slice lengthwise making pieces like a lasagna noodle.
SAUTE THE ONION, MUSHROOMS & GARLIC
In a saucepan, saute onions in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about one minute, until translucent. Add the garlic, then the mushrooms. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes more.
MAKE THE BECHAMEL SAUCE
Add one tablespoon olive oil to a saucepan, add the flour into the oil, and stir. Slowly add the almond milk while stirring. Add 1/2 cup vegan cheese.
Once the cheese is melted add the spices – 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon rosemary.
The sauce will get creamy and thicken. Reduce the heat and simmer it. Add the broth and continue stirring.
ASSEMBLE THE DISH
In a 6 by 6-inch baking dish, assemble the moussaka.
- Cover the bottom with a layer of zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella shreds.
- Top with mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella shreds.
- Cover with a layer of zucchini slices.
- Top with sauce.
BAKE THE DISH
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is golden brown.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.